Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Including a schema more than once without causingerrors

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:

> In the RNC setting, I would like to incorporate something
> like
>
> guard "http://www.example.com/grandfather";
>
> How do people feel?

Comparing right sides of patterns seems the most clean solution to me,
but unfortunately too computional expensive. Thus I think that using
guards is the most pragmatic approach.

It might be also useful to allow something like "autoguard" where guard
identifier will be generated automatically and will correspond to the
URI of file. As such guards will be generated at a runtime by the one
implementation, the same files should be labeled with the same URI.

Regarding named pattern there is also another issue which could be
addressed in RELAX NG V.next. Pattern names are currently just unscoped.
If you combine patterns from two arbitrary schemas it is necessary that
there is no name clash. Some schemas solve this problem by using
consistent naming policy and adding prefix before each pattern. For
example in DocBook schema each pattern is prefixed by "db.". But not all
schema authors are as enlightened as Norm ;-)
Using QNames for pattern names could solve this problem, and will be
consistent with many other XML technologies that use QNames for naming
of various entities.

			Jirka

Be in, register for XML Prague 2007 today! http://www.xmlprague.cz

OpenPGP digital signature