rights-examples message

Subject: RE: [rights-examples] ln00x use case discussion

Title: RE: [rights-examples] ln00x use case discussion
(First, in response to another message you sent)

>Another interesting thing people have proposed (that you might be
>interested in) is the use of "resource classes".  In this instance,
>each resource indicates which resource class they are in.  Licenses
>are then written for "any resource" in a specific class.  In essence,
>the licenseId approach is an example of a resource class approach
>where the resource classes are defined by a particular license id.
>You can expand this, though, to make a generic resource class id with
>the advantage being that you can later issue new licenses refering to
>that generic resource class without having to go find each resource
>and update it to include the new license id.  The way you would do
>this is similar to the example above but with a couple words after
>mySystem changed.
Yes, this sounds like a good fit for some of the scenarios I have in mind. Where can I find out more?

Your concept of assignment definitely comes closer to what I had in mind than your concept of role. "Platinum member" is a good example, to represent "any customer who has paid for a particular plan." (As with DirectTV--my family has access to the Boomerang channel because we pay for the Premium Plus plan; when we were on the Premium plan, we didn't, and couldn't watch Droopy Dog, Huckleberry Hound, etc.)

In addition to "all customers who paid for a certain plan," customer class "c10012" could also represent "all customers accessing our system from a particular domain." A corporate client such as a law firm may have worked out a site license deal, and we know that all customers coming from a specified domain do have access to products A, B, and C but not to D or E.

So, that being the case, what would be the best XrML 2.1 way to express the following element from your example?

>  <any principal who is a platinum member/>
thanks,

Bob