rights-requirements message

Subject: [rights-requirements] FW: Self issuance of rights

[forwarded on behalf of Hari]

Hello All:
I had the opportunity to discuss some of the Samuelson Law, Technology
& Public Policy Clinic submission with Deirdre, Aaron and Dean. From
the discussion, I took the action to develop a use case to illustrate
requirement SAM-6: "The end user shall be able to express the claim of
rights not granted by the content owner" which was dispositioned as
Rights Language, Comprehensive, Domain, R02, R03, and R04. The use
case below also illustrates SAM-2 ("The rights language shall be able
to express the context of use of a work." which was dispositioned as
Rights Language, Comprehensive, Domain, R01) and SAM-3 ("Assigning
rights to classes of works (defined by type)." which was dispositioned
as Rights Language, Comprehensive, Core, R11).
I have copied the wordings of the RLTC Requirements below:
-------------
R02. Specifying Verbs
The language architecture must allow for expressions of verbs.
R03. Specifying Noun
The language architecture must allow for expressions of nouns.
R04. Specifying Permissions
The language architecture must allow for the building of expressions
of permission based on the expressions of conditions, nouns
(permitted, permitted-upon, and permitting), and verbs.
R11. Collections of Conditions, Nouns, and Verbs
The language architecture must allow for the building of a concise
expression of an arbitrarily large and potentially infinite number of
permissions where that collection of permissions is related to one or
more arbitrarily large and potentially infinite collections of
conditions, nouns, or verbs.

-------------
Thomas created the enclosed example to illustrate this.
In this scenario, Alice could load the following simple license into
the preferences of her DRM software to allow herself to extract
portions of any music album sound tracks she comes across. She is
essentially issuing a license to herself.
We are not designing a DRM system here but I offer this just as a
potential description of how a system could implement the scenario.
The example uses a sample domain extension (MPEG) just as an example.
In the MPEG schema there exists domain specific elements such as
"extract". One can clearly extrapolate this same use case for the
other domains.
I am submitting this also into the Examples SC for their
consideration.
Regards,
Hari

<<selfissue.xml>>