rights-requirements message

Subject: RE: [rights-requirements] Some proposed topics for Aug. 28

I would have to agree with Bob.  This rights language architecture will be used well beyond the domains that are concerned with Fair Use and certainly beyond specific interpretations of Fair Use.  I, for one, do not see any Fair Use of my personal health records.  Therefore I would not want anyone to "claim right" access to my record which indicates my genetic predisposition to procrastination.

But seriously, Bob has made a point that is crucial to this conversation.  We do not know what rights people will want to elaborate in the future.  We don't know all of the rights "(or principals or resources or conditions, for that matter)" people want to describe today.  They vary by domain.  Experts in those domains should develop the domain specific extensions for their applications.  But by building their extensions on top of this architecture they allow application and systems developers to build solutions that can be leveraged across multiple domains.

Hari provided one way to achieve this idea of claiming rights in his email of yesterday afternoon subject: "[rights-requirements] FW: Self issuance of rights".  This is just one way XrML could be used to "express" an interpretation of Fair Use. We should not be hardwiring the language to express this or any other set rights.

Brad

 -----Original Message-----
From: Bob Atkinson [mailto:bobatk@Exchange.Microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 12:38 AM
To: burstein@boalthall.berkeley.edu; rights-requirements@lists.oasis-open.org

Gentlefolk,

We are defining a XML data structure, together with an algorithm for its interpretation, namely an authorization algorithm which gives a thumbs up or thumbs down to a given attempt to exercise a right.

In my mind, as simply as I can put it, the 'core' material speaks to the fundamental XML mechanics of defining the data structure, and the specification of the algorithm. An important part of the nature of the specification is that the algorithm specification should not, indeed cannot, enumerate the semantics of all possible rights (or principals or resources or conditions, for that matter); thus the algorithm specification MUST be written in such a manner so as to allow rights that, say, were invented after it was written to be accommodated within the algorithm.

With that in mind, I see some important distinctions:

"No rights unless explicitly granted" speaks to the algorithm specification, namely that it should not answer "yea verily" unless the right in question has been explicitly granted. Such a requirement directly speaks to the specification of the authorization algorithm.

In contrast, "The rights language shall be able to express permissions associated with the fair use doctrine of the US Copyright Act" seems to be entirely analogous to (for example) "The rights language shall be able to express permissions associated with the appropriate use of XYZ Co's source code control web service". That is, it seems to be entirely within a certain category of things which are outside the algorithm specification, a category which, as above, necessarily exists.

If someone were to propose a "claim right" construct, I would hope that they also propose its impact on the authorization algorithm; absent the specification of such impact, there is no semantic conveyed, and the construct is devoid of technical meaning or interpretation. This is a crucial point.

Finally, I'll mention in passing a lingering underlying concern I have about the nature of some of these proposals, namely that they are so heavily US focused. I for one am extraordinarily leery of producing a REL that codifies and embodies US law as a distinguished or more-equal nature than that of other nations, provinces, and states.

      Bob