rights-requirements message

Subject: [rights-requirements] RE: [rights] tyranny of the majority but noconsensus

Patrick,

I am sure that out of 100's of e-mails and documents I have missed much more
than a couple of items. Each of us can sift through the "paper trail" and
find something. I believe that Bob and yourself were implying that there was
a pattern of inappropriate behavior. I see no such pattern in the documents
on the website. If Hari at time did not do what you wanted him to do or
allowed a motion to proceed when you did not like the motion - that's not a
justification to question the quality and integrity of his work. If saying
things like "[Hari] has steadily lost the impartiality with which he began
as the TC chairman", "As evidence of that lack of interest, consider that
Hari has attempted to map all the submitted requirements to that initial set
of requirements", "do you believe that Hari would receive a vote of
"confidence" to remain as chairman from a majority of the eligible members?"
is not an attack on him and the work that he's done, then you and I just
disagree on what it means to "attack" someone.

One item that you quote shows that the schedule has been revised in June or
so extended the timeframe for submitting requirements by four weeks. So? As
for the second item quoting unnamed sources - I simply pointed out that,
unless someone has maliciously edited the website, the schedule for
gathering the requirements documents (8/7) and dispositioning them (8/21)
has been posted at least on July 9th and the actual documents from Hari
match that.

Regarding the royalty-free issue - there is a fine distinction between the
language itself being royalty-free and its implementation being
royalty-free. Re: the former, I've heard in the F2F that at least XrML's
contribution will be RF. The latter is a totally different issue and - in my
humble professional opinion - it is highly unlikely that any system
implementation using any rights language will not touch on someone's
patents. Whether this distinction is at the root of the disagreement, I
don't know.

What puzzles me most is the type of debate and arguments that are being
made. This is a TECHNICAL Committee. In my technical training, design issues
and requirements are discussed based on specific, concrete, actionable and
"evaluatable" arguments. I don't know how statements like: "The consistent
pattern has been: We resist any effort to make our "rights-expression
language" actually be expressive of actual rights", "XrML embodies a pinched
view of the world", "the entire committee is a sham", "The time has come to
put to bed the recurrent notion of a "Version 1" of the requirements" can be
constructively evaluated and/or contribute to creating a rights language.

How about a simple exercise? I listed below the "core" requirements from the
latest document dated 9/17. These are language requirements (not system
implementation requirements). There are very general. Can someone point out
expression of which rights being precluded by this set (i.e., can't be added
in extensions)? Can someone point out the negative public-policy
consequences which would result from adopting these "core" requirements?
Perhaps if we concentrate on the specific and constructive issues we can
actually find a ground for consensus.

Respectfully,

DR

List of the core language requirements:

1. Specifying Conditions
2. Specifying Verbs
3. Specifying Nouns
4. Specifying Permissions
5. Extensibility
6. Machine Readable
7. Language Definition
8. Well-defined Semantics
9. Roles, Groups, and Attributes
10. Syntax Does Not Impart Semantics
11. Collections of Conditions, Nouns, and Verbs
12. Ability to Increase Permissions by Increments of One
13. Permission to Permit
14. Permission to Acquire Permissions
15. Security Features
16. Permissions Exercisable Offline [DR: Is not this a system requirement,
not language?]
17. Revocation
18. Revoke
19. The Unauthenticated User
20. Reference to Frequently Used Expression Fragments
21. The Multi-authenticated User
22. Multiple Conditions
23. Multiple Permissions
24. Ready to Be Profiled
25. Permissions Conditional Upon Permissions
26. Unconditional Permissions