rights-requirements message

Subject: Re: 'right' vs 'permission'; was: RE: [rights-requirements] Parallelor Complimentary System

Bob,

Since I have never been shy about running where angels fear to step... ;-)

(I have retained the earlier discussion since the following assumes it
as a context for the following. At some point, reponders need to simply
refer to the archive for earlier discussion, just to save on length.)

Bob's two propositions (I am not necessarily agreeing with either one
but using them as a starting place):

> A. "In the US, teachers have a 'fair use' right to certain copyright
> works"
>
> B. "In the US, the US government has granted teachers permission to
> perform certain 'fair use' actions with certain copyrighted works"

The difference in a "right" and a "permission" is subtle but also profound.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to distinguish in observed results.

Consider the following case: I have the "right" to drive a vehicle in
any state of the United States, that is I need no affirmation or
granting of that right when I cross into another state. The reason I
have that "right" is because the State of Georgia has granted me a
permission in the form of a driver's license. Clearly the other states
have not granted me any such permission but my "right" to drive still
obtains. (Ignoring for the moment all the legal reasons why it is really
a reciprocal permission in other states so that the example works. ;-) )

A right can be exercised without any action or inaction on the part of
anyone other than the person who is exercising the right. (Well, perhaps
restraint of others if I decide to sing on the subway but that is
another matter.)

A permission, on the other hand, implies that some other party, by law
(government) or contract (vendor/provider) has taken some step to
authorize my exercise of that permission, before I ever decide to
exercise it. My cable provider has given me "permission" to watch
certain channels, but I don't have the right to choose some channel to
which I have not subscribed.

If pressed I would hazard that at least one way to distinguish rights
and permissions is: Do I have to ask before I can do some particular
action? If the answer is no, then we are talking about a right. If the
answer is yes, then we are talking about a permission.

The problem with your example (although I think it helps clarify the
issue) is that it tends to focus on the outcome and not the process.
Whether permission or right, you can get the same result in some cases,
but not others. In your example you get the same result and that is what
I think may be confusing about it.

I think this is an issue that we could explore with examples of
expressions. I don't know that I will have the time to reach any this
weekend but that might help advance the discussion as well as give us
all some exercise with the syntax.

Patrick