rights-requirements message

Subject: RE: 'right' vs 'permission'; was: RE: [rights-requirements] Parallelor Complimentary System

>What did you think about the idea that the outcome of right vs.
>permissions could be the same but differ in terms of the process by
>which the outcome would be reached?

In order to answer this question, let me first add some context from your original e-mail:

"If pressed I would hazard that at least one way to distinguish rights
and permissions is: Do I have to ask before I can do some particular
action? If the answer is no, then we are talking about a right. If the
answer is yes, then we are talking about a permission."

The thing to realize is that if the answer is no (what you call rights) then we don't have any communication.  And, if we don't have any communication, then we don't need a language.  And, if we don't need a language, then it is not in the scope of a language technical committee.

On the other hand, if the answer is yes (what you call permissions), then we have communication.  And, thus, need a language.

Does this make sense?  We have to keep in mind always that we are only defining a language, and not a DRM system.

Thanks,

Thomas.