rights-requirements message

Subject: Re: [rights-requirements] Comments on Requirements version 16

Dmitry, I respectfully disagree with you.

> Obviously, there is no agreement on the rules as related to the IP
> policy of the RLTC. There are certainly plenty of standards bodies
> with very different IP policies and we are all free to join the ones
> we like best. The OASIS has its policy and the RLTC is in compliance
> with it. I don't want to rehash the issue, please see 12/3/02 e-mail
> from Karl Best. We can agree with the policy or we can agree to
> disagree and move on. But to keep going back and bringing up the same
> points over and over again is simply not constructive.

"If you don't like it, then fo away and join someone else's
standards-setting process" isn't any better an answer than, "If you
won't countenance dissent from stakeholders, go away and do this as an
inter-company negotiation, not a open standards-setting process" would
be. If you stop implying the former, I promise not to say the latter.

>  However, there is an argument that fair use is a defense against
> copyright infringement rather than an intrinsic source of user rights,
> and there is no intrinsic right to duplicate copyrighted material. I
> would argue that the latter interpretation is more in line with the
> recent findings of the US courts, but the main point here is that
> there is at least a difference of opinions and some claims that are
> being put forward as self-obvious and grounded in the Constitution are
> not necessarily so. I highly doubt that Anne's employer would agree
> that it's a fair use for me to purchase a license to run Sun's softwar

Dmitry, this is a gross misstatement of how copyright works and
suggests that this committee is still a long way off from coming up
with anything that reflects how copyright actually works. It's pretty
disheartening to see outrageous statements like this:

> It is the purpose of the copyright law to protect the rights of the
> relatively small group (compared to the user population) of copyright
> owners.

which completely mis-state the factual, settled nature of copyright
after so much discussion and debate.

>  Or imposing some processes which make fair use less convenient but
> curtails widespread copyright abuse be the right balance? Should I be
> able to get a discount if I am willing to forego the right to make
> copies (the economists generally agree that in most cases price
> distrimination will benefit consumers)?

IOW, should this standards body reverse the settled practice of
copyright law by precluding models of actual copyright because serving
those models is hard or incovnvenient?

My answer is a resounding no.

I assume that by "most economists" you mean "most economists who agree
with me."