rights-requirements message

Subject: Re: [rights-requirements] Statement of Examples SC

On 11 June, Patrick Durusau writes: [rights-requirements] Statement of Examples SC
 > The Examples SubCommittee proposes the following process, to be approved
 > by the Requirements SC and adopted by the Rights TC to govern the
 > handling of pending and future examples submitted to the Examples SC:
 >
 > 1. All parties are invited to submit examples, either based upon current
 > submissions or entirely new examples to the Examples SC.
 >
 > 2. The Examples SC will meet and work on preliminary answers to
 > submitted examples in its public forums, but will not issue definitive
 > answers until informed by the drafting committee that is has a draft it
 > thinks is ready for TC consideration. Its answers to any examples will
 > be reviewed against that draft and either revised answers prepared or
 > answers to unanswered examples will be prepared.
 >
 > 3.The Rights TC should adopt a process statement saying that all
 > examples sponsored by an RLTC member must be resolved by consensus of
 > the Examples SC prior to any vote on a specification by the Rights TC.

I have a very different view of the role of the Examples
Subcommittee.

The Samuelson Law Clinic has submitted examples (use cases).
Many of us feel the current draft specification is not able to
express the requirements of those examples, but do not have the
XrML expertise to verify this.  I was hoping that the Examples
Subcommittee would consist of XrML experts who could

1) Show us how to express the already-submitted examples in XrML,
   if possible.

2) Point out based on the exercise what might be useful changes
   in the XrML specification.

Other members of the TC who are not XrML experts can then review
the solutions to the examples and discuss whether they seem
adequate.

Reports from the Examples Subcommittee need not be "definitive".
They can be relative to a particular version of the draft spec,
and can be updated based on spec changes designed to deal with
problems in previous expressions of the examples.

To wait until we have a semi-final document before even testing
it against submitted examples seems like a recipe for delay in
specification approval, as follows:

1. Spec "ready for TC consideration" produced by the "drafting
   committee" (do we have such a committee?  Isn't it just Hari?)
2. Examples subcommittee expresses examples
3. Examples subcommittee may run into problems requiring a change
   in the draft spec.  Go to 1.
4. Or, examples subcommittee does not run into problems, but other
   TC members disagree with the results, and send spec and
   examples back to respective committees.  Go to 1.

I would like to see a more cooperative, incremental approach that
allows more of this work to be done in parallel in the interests
of avoiding roadblocks.

Anne

P.S. I tried to find a copy of the most recent RLTC
     Specification on the RLTC Web Site.  Searching the
     "documents" for "specification" does not bring it up.  It
     would be extremely useful to have links on the top-level
     RLTC Web Page to the most recent versions of all working
     documents:

     a) Specification draft
     b) Schema drafts
     c) Requirements draft
     d) Examples draft

Anne
Sun Microsystems Laboratories
1 Network Drive,UBUR02-311     Tel: 781/442-0928
Burlington, MA 01803-0902 USA  Fax: 781/442-1692