Subject: Re: [rights] getting started on requirements

BobA raises an *excellent* point:

> ...There is also another perspective on this. MPEG21 is moving
> forward apace with their work involving XrML. It is in my
> understanding unlikely (though others here certainly have more
> detailed knowledge than I on this topic) that our TC will be able
> to significantly alter the schedule on which they do so. If we
> fail to connect with their schedule by some means or other, they
> will, I believe, in the end create a fork of XrML, the core and
> standard extension included. It would then seem to me of precious
> little relevance of how much other organizations believed "that
> our TC is going to speak for them.", for they would have an
> alternate and arguably more compelling source for this technology.
> MPEG21 is by no means the only customer of our work, but it is
> equally by no means just one among equals....

Indeed, MPEG (I believe) is entirely within their right to carry on, either
simply to maintain their schedule (as they must) and/or purposefully to reject
the proposed XrML core/extension model. The language has been presented to them,
now it's their turn, and its totally their choice.

Given the importance of the MPEG imprimatur in many circles, other orgs that
require a REL might well adopt MPEG-REL over the work of the OASIS RLTC...

John