Subject: RE: [rights] getting started on requirements

Title: RE: [rights] getting started on requirements

> Indeed, MPEG (I believe) is entirely within their right to
> carry on, either
> simply to maintain their schedule (as they must) and/or
> purposefully to reject
> the proposed XrML core/extension model. The language has been
> presented to them,
> now it's their turn, and its totally their choice.
>
> Given the importance of the MPEG imprimatur in many circles,
> other orgs that
> require a REL might well adopt MPEG-REL over the work of the
> OASIS RLTC...
>
> John

This analysis highlights my concern that some people seem overly driven to synch up with the MPEG milestones before we even know what other ones might be. The MPEG imprimatur may have lots of value in some domains but little in others. I also don't see how we can assume that some requirements affect the core but that all others can be satisfied entirely using the extension framework until we learn what the other requirements are.

I am not suggesting that MPEG alter its schedules. I'm just dubious that a bifurcated requirements gathering process that from the output signals to some organizations that their requirements are second class citizens isn't going to be very effective and certainly doesn't seem credible.

bob