Subject: RE: [rights] Clarification...

Title: RE: [rights] Clarification...
I completely agree with Hari's earlier point that we cannot make assumptions about what the TC voted on other than what was presented at the meeting.  "Clarifying comments" after the fact should not be read to clarify what the TC voted on; they only confuse the issue.  The TC voted on what the TC voted on.

That issue asside, perhaps the following quote will put the question of "what is a JC" to rest:

"A TC shall have no obligation to abide by any decision arrived at in a JC to which it contributes membership. The business of a JC to which a TC contributes membership shall be imparted to the TC through reports from the chair of its liaison subcommittee*. Such reports shall have the same force and shall be made, received, and acted upon in the same manner as reports from any other subcommittee of the TC."
-- http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml#sec1o

(* = In the context of this clause, the "liaison subcommittee" is the committee of members the TC sends to the JC, probably better termed the RLTC Liaison-to-the-Security-JC SC.)

Thanks,
Thomas.
-----Original Message-----
From: Carlisle Adams [mailto:carlisle.adams@entrust.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 10:33 AM
To: 'Brad.Gandee@CONTENTGUARD.COM'; 'hal.lockhart@entegrity.com'; 'Reddy, Hari'
Cc: 'rights@lists.oasis-open.org'

Hi Hari,

Right.  Notice the phrases "coordinating work" and "coordinate technical discussions".  There is no coordination if every member TC just does whatever it feels like doing.  Simply passing information around about what each TC is doing is a liaison activity, but not a coordinating activity.  The Security JC is intended to do both information sharing ("discuss common issues, set up liaisons") and coordination ("coordinate technical discussion, coordinate work between multiple TCs").  I don't understand the confusion about this.

Carlisle.