s-ramp message

Subject: Managing open issues

Hello everyone,

Now that we have gone through all of the issues and opened most of them we need to try to organize and prioritize those issues.  A number of the issues have already been assigned to owners.  For those issues I would like to have each of the owners come back to the group by the February 9, 2011 meeting with a SWAG for the effort to resolve the issue.  The information should be updated in JIRA and the SWAG should include the following:
    • Estimated date for the proposed solution or recommendation for closure or possibly the issue needs to be broken down in to smaller issues
      • In the case where an issue needs to be broken up in to smaller issues, the owner should raise those issues in JIRA and we can then review those issues and disposition them just as we have all the contributed issues.
    • Estimated date for the proposal to be integrated in to the document by the issue owner(s)
      • This would be the point where the issue is brought forward to the group for review and discussion.  The owner should have integrated the proposal into the Working Draft and the group can review the issues solution and have open discussion via email or in the meetings.  Then the issue's proposed solution would be voted on and either approved for integration in to the official document by the editors or it may be rejected pending integration of comments/changes.
    • Update to the priority of the issue
      • We will do our best to prioritize issues using the priorities available in JIRA.  This should help to target which issues will receive focus first
I think if we can get this information in to JIRA it will allow us to manage and prioritize the work as we move forward throughout 2011.  As the TC Chair, I will do my best to manage this work and keep a spreadsheet or use project management software to manage the work.

For the issues that are Open but Unassigned, we need to have folks step up and offer their expertise to work on those issues.  Some of these issues may get resolved as a byproduct of the work already assigned and others may be deemed as not relevant as we move forward.  Either way, all of the unassigned issues need to have some sort of resolution as we move through the OASIS process.

Thank you!

Regards,
Vince Brunssen
Senior Software Engineer