s-ramp message

Subject: Re: [s-ramp] SRAMP-3 RDF/OWL vs XML Schema

Dear Peter,

Thank you for your feedback. As I was not yet a member of the TC when the issue was identified I probably lack some background info about this issue. As I understand now from your email it was never the intention to replace the XSD's by OWL, but merely to make additional OWL view of the standard. If this is indeed the case, then I don't think we should make an OWL representation at this moment. I think we have more useful things to do than to make an additional view on the same specification and we would risk introducing inconsistencies. Keeping both views in sync would be a lot of work.

By using UML and XSD, however, we also make a choice for particular modeling languages. It's not really possible to produce a common model without reference to any modeling language. But I do agree that they are the current market standards, so even though they have weak semantics I have no problem using them. As I stated in the document, they also have a number of advantages.

All in all, if it was only the intention to make an additional view in OWL, then I don't think it's smart to do this work, at least not now. Let's check in tomorrow's call if everybody agrees (i) that we don't want to replace XSD by OWL and (ii) that it would not be wise to spend time on making an additional view at the moment.

Met vriendelijke groet/Kind regards,

ICRIS B.V.
Consulting and Research

Linda Terlouw