s-ramp message

Subject: Re: [s-ramp] Open source project for testing S-RAMP implementations

I'm interested in collaborating on an open source, implementation-independent set of test cases for S-RAMP implementations.

Thanks,
Senaka.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Suman Ganta <Suman.Ganta@activevos.com> wrote:
Hi Randall,
    I'm interested to contribute to this effort. Does OASIS mandates providing some descriptive test cases for verification along with standard?

Regards,
-Suman.

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall Hauch [mailto:rhauch@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:45 PM
To: s-ramp@lists.oasis-open.org

OASIS TCs don't define tests or compatibility kits to help implementors verify the correctness of their implementations of the specifications. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Are any members of this group interested in collaborating on an open source, implementation-independent set of test cases for S-RAMP implementations?

The S-RAMP TC may not be able to endorse the effort, and thus these tests would not be an official "Technology Compatibility Kit" (TCK) suitable for determining compliance. However,  using such tests would give S-RAMP implementors some confidence that their implementation is behaving correctly (in as much as the tests cover and are correct). Wider use of such tests could also help improve interoperability by promoting consistent behaviors. Finally, ensuring such an open source project were completely independent of any/all implementations will make it easier for organizations to contribute and participate.

There are a variety of ways to organize and host an open source project like this, ranging from a simple GitHub repository with a liberal license to a full-blown legal organization. Regardless of which path we take, there are legal and technical issues that we'd have to consider.

Best regards,

Randall Hauch
Principal Software Engineer
JBoss by Red Hat

P.S. I apologize in advance if this topic is not appropriate for this forum.