saf message

Subject: RE: [saf] Cloud Profile Value Proposition

Hi Yasu,

Thank you for your thought-provoking comments, which I've excerpted with some of my statements below, for convenience along with responses:

FROM BELOW (Yasu's comments are numbered (1) and (2):
B. CROSS-DOMAIN: This translation can be from one domain to another
domain or at a higher-level within the same domain. These domains can be
IT/cloud domains and/or business/application/service domains.

(1) Why is CROSS-DOMAIN related to the catalog?
[[Paul]] I suppose you are thinking of the "Framework" as part of this, too. I don't deny that a framework capable of utilizing the catalog would be needed, but the catalog relates a Syndrome, which may be of one domain of business/knowledge (not Internet domain) (let's call it A) to a Prescription, which may be of an entirely different business/knowledge (say B). The point is that the connection between A and B is codified in the catalog, not the framework and certainly not the emitted Symptoms themselves, which are oblivious to the whole relationship.

C. ITERATION: You can keep doing translations adding value over and over
again

(2) Why is ITERATION related to the catalog?
[[Paul]] Here, the framework actually plays a centerpiece role along with catalog. Without framework what would do the iterating? Without catalog, what would framework iterate on? To me, the purpose of iteration is to do translations over and over, possibly across domains, until a problem is resolved or a system is optimized, or other broad uber-policy goals have been reached. Yes, I think SAF might have some sort of uber/meta policy aspects to it, but I'm not sure it is most appropriate to refer to SAF that way.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Lipton
VP, Industry Standards and Open Source
Member, CA Council for Technical Excellence
Phone (preferred number!): +1 215 539-2731
Mobile: +1 267 987-6887