saf message

Subject: RE: [saf] Cloud Profile Value Proposition

Title: Message

Hi all,

Continuing the thread on identifying value proposition(s). I think it would be easier to start with value propositions now focused on Cloud Profile, perhaps leveraging the ideas proposed below for that purpose. Afterwards, a more general discussion of value propositions might also be helpful.

Stavros, regarding your excellent comment, some comments…

“I usually also emphasize the framework and the clear (?) definition of the architectural roles one has to realize and their flexibility, e.g. multiple practitioners coming from different users, multiple symptom emitters, multiple catalogue sources (to combine domain specific knowledge?) etc.

[[Paul]] Architectural roles in themselves are not a value-proposition, I think, but rather an artifact of good design, but +1 on the architectural roles enabling diverse domains to work together supported by automation based on a common framework.

Further, it is the possibility of sharing this knowledge in standard means, that also attaches value to SAF.

[[Paul} agree

Finally, we could mention the possibility for runtime adaptations to the catalogue, the ability to have the system evolve in response to the environmental changes, e.g. add a new syndrome after data mining over historical records and identify a new, previously unknown pattern (as Dave has mentioned in the past). This might be implied in Paul's "iteration" but not sure.”

[[Paul]] It is a natural consequence of my point regarding “Iteration,” but may be considered a higher-level business/technical value derived from Iteration, I think.

[[Paul]]

This leaves us with the below, I think:

Higher-level Value Propositions in no Particular Order (with the supporting lower-level values (if that is what they are) that I identified earlier:

·         Standardized knowledge sharing and best practices (actions) across domains (also Symptoms/events, etc., but that may be of less value)

o    Translation, Cross-domain, Standardized expertise/knowledge

o    In the cloud: domains can take meaningful action based on the Symptoms and situations of other domains that they know little/nothing about, but have a business dependency/relationship with

·         Real-time or near real-time evolving knowledge and action repertoire enabled by data mining and “pattern” recognition (including identifying new situations)

o    Standardized expertise/knowledge, cross-domain, translation

o    In the cloud: Cloud entities and enterprises using the cloud can react to changing situations (business, security, operational, service, app) across domains and respond appropriately without internal visibility into the internal properties/characteristics of the other domains. I may not be saying this well.

Does this make sense? Am I skipping a value proposition?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Lipton

VP, Industry Standards and Open Source

Member, CA Council for Technical Excellence

Phone (preferred number!): +1 215 539-2731

Mobile: +1 267 987-6887

Email: paul.lipton@ca.com

cid:image001.gif@01C83B50.20DA2990

THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL, PRIVILEGED OR OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED INFORMATION. IT IS INTENDED FOR THE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT THE ADDRESSEE (OR SOMEONE THE ADDRESSEE AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE THIS MESSAGE), YOU ARE PROHIBITED FROM COPYING, DISTRIBUTING OR OTHERWISE USING IT. PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER AND RETURN IT AT OUR COST. THANK YOU.