saf message

Subject: SAF Outreach

I've been giving some thought to SAF outreach opportunities.
I think we could be limiting ourselves with the Cloud profile.  That's
not to say we should abandon our Cloud efforts, but rather also embrace
other opportunities such as Energy (SmartGrid).

SmartGrid may offer an unprecedented opportunity to position SAF as an
identified standards gaps with respect to "decision support tools" and
"demand management tools".   Also, there are synergies where "Cloud
meets Energy management" and "Cloud meets Emergency management"... as
outlined in Mike Baskey's use case (now posted in Contributions folder).

I would point you to a couple websites:
- http://www.oe.energy.gov/smartgrid.htm - Overview of SmartGrid
stakeholders.  Click on the Technology Providers section.  Really well
presented (in my opinion).
- http://www.nist.gov/smartgrid - Talks about NIST's 3-phase plan, the
first of which is to identify applicable standards.  It also includes
info on how to participate in one of their Domain Expert Working Groups.
- http://www.oasis-open.org/news/oasis-news-2010-03-08.php - Oasis
article about "Oasis Blue", a new member section devoted to SmartGrid.

In preparation for Thursday's SAF call, I offer the following ideas for
SAF outreach:
- Submission of Journal articles (online or otherwise) about SAF Cloud,
Energy, Emergency management.  To be determined.
- Participation in Technical Committees including Oasis, NIST Expert WG,

IEEE?, others.
- Participation in Oasis member sections, ie: Oasis Blue.  Looks like
NIST, Tibco, and others are participating in this member section.

Thoughts?
Do any of these make sense?
What are the priorities?