saf message

Subject: RE: [saf] SAF Outreach

Here is the key difference between Cloud & SmartGrid opportunities:  SmartGrid visionaries are actively requesting standards (or emerging standards) for decision support / demand management tools.  That's not the case for Cloud.

A starting point would be to include a SmartGrid type scenario in our Cloud use case (similar to what Mike has done)... and to attempt to engage SmartGrid parties (EMIX TC, NIST, etc).

Regarding the use case below... I'm not sure how realistic the temporary steep price hike would be.  A more realistic scenario would be one where the energy provider is short on capacity and mandates businesses (including datacenters) to reduce power consumption.  [The 'short on capacity' is a real & reoccurring problem].  Another scenario mirrors Dave's CO2 use case, where the consumer chooses to switch to a different energy source (renewable) because of CO2 compliance.
I think we've captured both of those, but still need some tweaking.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lipton, Paul C
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:07 PM
To: Vaught, Jeffrey A; saf@lists.oasis-open.org

Jeff,

You make many good points. Of course, SAF can be applied to many domains, but I would agree to Cloud being primary and SmartGrid being secondary, as they are both hot and SAF would add a lot of value. That said; I don't thing we should consider additional domains at this time. . If we could come up with a cool Cloud and Smartgrid use case that would indeed be something. Perhaps Mike Baskey, who is knowledgeable in both areas, could comment.

Regarding OASIS Blue, there is the EMIX TC, which is developing a way to convey pricing and other data about energy.

Imagine a use case like this (using private clouds here, but could be public clouds, too, and I am not being very rigorous at this point, just exploring the possibilities:
Conditions:
	Business Symptom: An EMIX feed indicates an upcoming steep price hike in energy cost 7am at datacenter A
	Operational Symptom: An outstanding order to start provisioning at this datacenter (normally the default for this type of operation) at 7am to handle a huge end-of-quarter processing load
	Syndrome trigger: pattern match on scheduled provisioning exceeded initial cost estimate by more than 15% due to anticipated energy cost spike
	Protocol: (re)initiate cost analysis for cost center in which to provision lower than N (new estimate for datacenter A
	Operational symptom: Cheaper datacenter/provider found (datacenter B vs. original)
	Syndrome: match on cheaper datacenter for scheduled provisioning found
	Protocol: Switch schedule to cheaper datacenter

You couldn't automate this with just DMTF or OGF standards. You need to collaborate business and operational expertise across domains using the SAF Syndrome/Protocol catalog as applied to these sorts of symptoms. The Cloud-based business achieves significant savings (and possible carbon kudos) by responding automatically to energy opportunities as they present themselves across geographies.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Lipton
VP, Industry Standards and Open Source
Member, CA Council for Technical Excellence
Phone (preferred number!): +1 215 539-2731
Mobile: +1 267 987-6887
Email: paul.lipton@ca.com

THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL, PRIVILEGED OR OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED INFORMATION. IT IS INTENDED FOR THE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IF YOU ARE NOT THE ADDRESSEE (OR SOMEONE THE ADDRESSEE AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE THIS MESSAGE), YOU ARE PROHIBITED FROM COPYING, DISTRIBUTING OR OTHERWISE USING IT. PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER AND RETURN IT AT OUR COST. THANK YOU.