saf message

Subject: RE: [saf] review of Educational powerpoint

Title: Message
Hi Jeff,

see inline

1.       The first six slides do not clearly differentiate SAF from (yet another) CEP/Workflow.  The remaining slides, however, do a great job of differentiation.  Would recommend starting with slide 7, and moving the first 6 slides to the back of the deck.

 It's a good idea to start with the problem setting, but then in the cartoon slides we use terms that haven't been defined yet (Diagnostician, Practitioner, etc). So this is problematic...

[Vaught, Jeffrey A] I’m worried that readers will already be convinced about SAF (that it is just another rules framework) before getting to slide 7.  Diagnostician & Practitioner terms don’t really need defining.  It is obvious from the medical analogy.

 I share your concerns Jeff and I agree with starting with the problem first. However, I do not think all the stuff in the following slides are self-explanatory or obvious. I run through the slides internally with some colleagues and got some expected questions: confusion of Protocol with communication etc protocols; what is the Catalogue? Is it an index? Is it a service catalogue? And various other similar questions. So we need to work on how to present and set those terms in context if we follow this approach (which as I said I agree we should follow).

Cheers,

Stavros

2.       Slide 3 explains Symptom, Syndrome, Protocol, and Prescription.  It would be good to articulate that these entities are primarily envelopes for events, rules, action templates, and actions.  Thus we aren’t re-inventing BPEL, RuleML, etc.

+1

3.       The “cartoon” slides are great, but missing two important pieces:

a.       The provider is likely to provide Symptoms (and thus contribute Syndromes to the catalog).  The Symptoms would generally describe service notifications such as “service will be out for maintenance”, or “unplanned outage”, etc.

I agree with this as well. But then it might get bloated, no?

b.      There is no discussion of composability.  The consumer would typically compose Syndromes from other syndromes (contributed from various sources) and also “glue” Syndromes to Protocols.  In my opinion – composability of diverse syndromes/protocols is the key differentiator for SAF.

 This is also interesting but very difficult to depict properly I think! Open to suggestions.

[Vaught, Jeffrey A] I’ll give this an attempt.  I think this is critical to depict.

4.       Getting nitpicky, but slide 23 is titled “Collaborations”, and I initially thought it was describing SAF catalog collaborations.

 :-) Do you want to rewrite the title? Jeff has the pen!

[Vaught, Jeffrey A] Yes – this slide is a call for TC members.

Cheers,

Stavros

Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe Limited
Hayes Park Central, Hayes End Road, Hayes, Middlesex, UB4 8FE
Registered No. 4153469

This e-mail and any attachments are for the sole use of addressee(s) and
may contain information which is privileged and confidential. Unauthorised
use or copying for disclosure is strictly prohibited. The fact that this
e-mail has been scanned by Trendmicro Interscan does not guarantee that
it has not been intercepted or amended nor that it is virus-free.