saf message

Subject: RE: Use cases for Cloud Profile

See inline…

From: Isaiadis, Stavros [mailto:stavros.isaiadis@baml.com]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 6:37 AM
To: Vaught, Jeffrey A
Cc: Vivian Lee; David Snelling; Black, Alvin; Lipton, Paul C

Hi Jeff,

As far as I can see, these use cases are sort of extensions to the work already in the cloud profile, i.e. for provisioning etc we will still use the same protocols, it’s just that now we have a more elaborate background scenario, which I think is a good thing. The story is quite fluid and I don’t have any major objections. I will try to incorporate these into the cloud profile as per the structural changes we agreed last Monday.

Jeff – Your right.  It isn’t a major departure for the catalog xml, but would also include verbiage about catalog contributions.  Without the extra verbiage, I kept asking myself “why would someone use SAF?”

A small comment: I would expect provider to provide the whole SAF “infrastructure” thus providing the Diagnostician as well, with exceptions only where consumers want to do more sophisticated or specialized stuff. But I expect a default Diagnostician to always be available from the providers.

Jeff – Agreed.  I can lose the paragraph about where the SAF Diagnostician resides.

Also, I didn’t quite get your comments about the CIMI Meter interface: if metering/management systems are already in place, and CIMI provides such an interface, surely we could exploit it in these use cases in order to manage the monitoring needed for our system? E.g. enable/disable advanced monitoring depending on the SLA and/or on pay as you use when e.g. the consumer need more detailed monitoring during periods of high demand or resource constraints.

Jeff – The problems with CIMI Meter (in context of our use cases) are:

1.   I don’t think you can Meter across a collection of machines (to see the aggregate avg cpu for example).

2.   Provider exposed metering (via CIMI) would allow the consumer to monitor machines, but how does that fit into our SAF use cases?

a.    Are we saying that a Prescription will call a CIMI Meter interface and generate new Symptoms as a result?  That gets rather convoluted.

b.    Are we saying that a systems manager on the consumer will use the CIMI Meter interface and generate new Symptoms?  That’s certainly possible, but doesn’t really discuss CIMI Meter in the context of SAF.

3.   For Systems, basic, comprehensive metering tends to be “always on”.  Granted, there are some types of (primarily application) metering that get enabled only periodically so as to reduce performance impact, but CIMI Metering seems to be primarily about systems.  Enabling advanced/detailed metering as the result of a triggered Syndrome seems contrived (just my opinion).

I’ll crack on with the profile and upload today.

Jeff – Great.  I’ll add the catalog xml afterwards (before Monday’s call).

Thanks,

Stavros

PS. Is there any particular reason we’re not having this discussion on the SAF mailing list??

Jeff – No reason... other than the list doesn’t always distribute.  I’ve added.