saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Attribute Statement example

Title: RE: [saml-dev] Attribute Statement example

Bhavna,

I was originally responsible for that piece of verbiage... sorry for any confusion.

What I meant was that because AttributeValue is an anyType, it seemed sensible to put some limits on what would be included in this element, but I wanted to suggest the least restrictive limit.  Therefore, the schema type of AttributeValue should be specified with an xsi:type attribute (rather than a substitution group), the type should extend "string", and it should remain a simple type.  In practice, this means that the AttributeValue schema could only be extended to include custom attributes.

For example:

<AttributeValue xsi:type="string">Administrator</AttributeValue>

Or...

<AttributeValue xsi:type="vendor:MyAttributeValue" vendor:attr1="a" vendor:attr2="b">
        Administrator
</AttributeValue>

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bhavna Bhatnagar [mailto:bhavna.bhatnagar@sun.com]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 12:18 PM
To: saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [saml-dev] Attribute Statement example

Hi Prateek/Anyone,

I was revisiting Prateek's original proposal regarding the artifact profile
testing and was wondering if you could give me an example of how an Attribute
Statement might look like.

I was having difficulty understanding these lines from the doc.:

We suggest that AttributeValues be defined by a schema that has simpleContent
and derives from string (or is string), i.e. extra attributes only, and that the
xsi:type mechanism be used. This way, portal sites can be guaranteed of getting
a string pair for AttributeName and AttributeValue.

Thanks much.

Bhavna

Bhavna Bhatnagar                                Sun Microsystems Inc.
Identity Management group        __o
Tel: 408-276-3591              _`\<,_
                              (*)/ (*)