saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] notBefore/notOnOrAfter unnecessary?

>Please consider the following simple attack:
>
>(1) I log into the source site and am issued an artifact,
>(2) I abandon the attempt to access the destination site,
>(2) the artifact is now stolen by some means,
>(3) the next day is the artifact is used to impersonate
>me at the destination site.
>
>How does your proposal protect against this attack? The source and
>destination systems must have somewhat synchronized clocks. This issue has
>nothing to do with (explicit) usage of
>NotBefore/ NotOnOrAfter attributes vs. Scott's proposal which
>takes a more "implicit" viewpoint.

4.1.1.9.1 bullet point 3:
"The source site SHOULD track the time difference between when a SAML
artifact is generated and placed on a URL line and when a <samlp:Request>
message carrying the artifact is received from the destination.  A maximum
time limit of a few minutes is recommended.  Should an assertion be
requested by a destination site query beyond this time limit, a SAML error
SHOULD be returned from the source site."

The above validity-period check at the source site makes validity-period
checking at the destination site redundant.  I suggest the "SHOULD"s above
be replaced with "MUST"s, to make the above check required, and the
destination-site validity check unnecessary.