saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Introduction & Question about the "heaviness" of S AML

Title: RE: [saml-dev] Introduction & Question about the "heaviness" of SAML

Adam,

I think you may have an incorrect assumption.

SAML does not specify how to use the assertions, or how long they are valid for.

For example, in the SAML SSO use case (as typified by the Burton interoperability tests with SAML browser artifact profile), the assertions are intended to be "single use" documents that expire in minutes. Their sole purpose in this case is to propagate user identity and/or attributes across a trust boundary (e.g. cross site).

Once the assertion has been propagated, it us up to the receiving site (the "destination" site) to create a local session, and to decide which attributes it trusts (based upon the trust relationship with the "source" site).

So, in this case, it is not at all a "multi-function permission slip that can be ported around by the user and used anywhere" and there is no need to revoke these assertions because they expire in minutes.

Again, SAML does not specify how to use the assertions, only what the are, and how to propagate them. You can use it in any manner that suits your needs.

I would be happy to discuss this further if you like.

John Herendeen

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Theo [mailto:theo@theoretic.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 12:30 AM
To: Mark Wilcox
Cc: saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Introduction & Question about the "heaviness" of
SAML

UPDATE:

I've sat down (virtually) with my co-developer, and he carefully
explained why he thinks SAML is not good for our project. He is not
against SAML in general, he just believes that the "SAML way" doesn't
fit in with the "PingID way". And now that he has explained why in
detail, I agree with him. I'd like to lay out his (now our) points, to
make sure we are correct about our assumptions about SAML, and why it
doesn't fit into our design very well.

 From what we have read, we assume that SAML is for creating "documents"
that are signed by an authority and in essence say "The bearer of this
document has been authenticated by me. They are who they say they are.
If you trust me, then you should trust them.". These signed documents
cannot be revoked or altered because the reader has no obligation to
contact the authority to see if it is true. The reader assumes that as
long as they can make sure the document was signed by the authority
(such as through a PGP key or other algorithm), then what the document
says should be true, too.

Also, the document can be used anywhere the authority is trusted. It's a
multi-function permission slip that can be ported around by the user and
used anywhere, instead of services needing to formally establish
relationships with the user on a case-by-case basis.

I'm not saying these are bad things. It's good that SAML is doing this,
because many organizations need this type of mechanism. I'm just now
starting to realize that it's not the way we want to do things, if my
assumptions are true.

So, I'm hoping for people to help me out in clarifying what I have
assumed above. Thanks.