saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SAML Usage Statistics?

> case for this kind of functionality. If you are a small
> company who does not need to interoperate with other
> organizations and you buy or build a solution which provides
> the capabilities you need, SAML or Liberty probably provide
> no quantifiable benefit. (In other words the benefit of a
> proprietary or SAML-based solution is the same.) The only
> benefit comes from the ease of possible future interoperability.

Don't sell that benefit short. In some environments, the barrier between
collaborating and not collaborating in some fashion is entirely based on the
marginal cost. If the marginal cost approaches zero or some low number
because your "proprietary" internal system is already based on a standard,
you may be able to build the case for something else much more readily.

The real question is whether there is significantly more work up front to do
something based on the standard instead of a one-off, and in most cases I
think the answer is no.

Not to disagree with anything else you said, but I think this is a crucial
issue for many sites.

-- Scott