saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] SAML 1.1 Technical Overview (11 May 2004)

Would it be feasible to use an AuthenticationRequest to transport the
domain suffixed ID that the user enters on the destination site?
The Bodington VLE has a separate page for external logins, as opposed to
local students going about their normal studies.
If a user, 1324@uhi.ac.uk, enters this ID, no scope for entering a
password, in the VLE's external login page, theoretically, the next page
they see is their ID, removed of it's domain suffix and an exhortation to
prove who they are, i.e. enter their password.
Their password is only ever seen by their SAML authority. If they need to
change their affiliation, say, they're registered somewhere else and have
accordingly separate access privileges, they just login with a different
domain suffix.
The destination VLE just packages up their ID in an AuthenticationRequest
and sends it to their domain suffix identified SAML authority for
authentication. The assertions can then continue as normal and the VLE can
commence to create them a local account using their fully qualified ID, to
prevent namespace clashes with other institutions.
We can guarantee that our student IDs are unique across our partner
institutions but we can't guarantee that they're unique. The domain suffix
should though.
As VLEs require local accounts, the user store could fill up with accounts
from many federated institutions.
It would seem that artifact resolving on the target side could possibly
provide a way for a SAML authority to gather information on what it's user
has done on the target side, for eLearning assessment etc.
Alistair

--
Alistair Young
Senior Software Engineer