saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Which version to use?

does anyone know if there will be an open source implementation of SAML2 and when?
Alistair

On 18 Oct 2004, at 16:20, Simon, Hank wrote:

Jean-Noel -

My personal opinion is to build a modular approach with a vendor that offers SAML. This will be SAML 1.1, but include in the bid and design that migration to SAML 2.0 will be included in the architecture. Even though SAML 2.0 is going to be ratified, I don't think it will be fully supported until mid-2005. I think you requirements can be satisfied with SAML 1.1 and a security rules engine for authorization and policy enforcement.

- Hank

From: Jean-Noel Colin [mailto:jean-noel.colin@oxys.be]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 4:15 AM
To: saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [saml-dev] Which version to use?

Hello,

We are in the process of defining a Federated Identity Management framework for a large European research project. Our idea is to rely on SAML to develop our model and implementation. The question today is: which version to use? 1.1 or 2.0?

Our need are the following:
• the environment is made of eLearning environments (E), through which users (U) access services (S) external to those E.
• one U is linked to a particular E
• S has to make sure that invoking U has been properly authenticated by their environment, and is authorized
• S may be chained: S may invoke another S
• all exchanges are based on Web Services
I would be in favor of SAML 2.0, as it seems that the specification are quite stable now, and ready to be approved as a standard, after the public review phase.

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks for your help

Jean-Noel Colin
jean-noel.colin@sun.com