saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Which version to use?

Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

> They're not exactly the same, just functionally equivalent. SAMLv2 is the
> successor to ID-FF 1.2 in terms of Liberty progression. It has features
> ID-FF 1.2 doesn't, because it's a merge of existing work into a new spec.

I know they are exactly not the same for eg, ECP in SAML talks about PAOS
(from liberty phase 2) & thus completes the specification of the profile in
a good way but
functionally not different.

> There is no direct wire interoperability, any more than there is between
> ID-FF 1.1 and 1.2, or SAML 1.1 and SAMLv2. Interop is a product-level
> issue.
> I'm sure many vendors will implement both, but that's their business. The
> direction of evolution is still one-way, at least in the SAML community.

So we envision a world where there will be an IDP based on SAML 2.0 & SP
based on Liberty-IDFF-1.2/Phase2 & we do leave the possibility of problems
of
wire interoperability.

Scott, I am also sure vendors will implement both as they will be left with
no other choice like having a merge of SAML & Liberty standard into one.

Kapil Sachdeva
http://www.dotnetcard.com/blogs/ksachdeva