saml-dev message

Subject: "Target" URL's longer that 80 bytes? (was: RE: [saml-dev] SAML 1.1 Artifact Profile -> SAML 2.0 - missing TARGET attribute)

Thank you Scott and all others that replied.

I have a basic followup question, based on IdP first:

Should i read the answer as if there is NO way in SAML 2.0 to send a
"target" with a URL longer than 80 bytes (I know that relaystate does not
allow for it). This would mean that for services with URL's longer than 80
bytes I will have to make an alias URL, that fx. could be based on a
rewrite?

Best regards
Brian Nielsen

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Cantor
To: Brian Nielsen; saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: 11/18/2005 5:38 PM
Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SAML 1.1 Artifact Profile -> SAML 2.0 - missing
TARGET attribute

> This seems to have been replaced by some other mechanisme in SAML 2.0,
the
> interop paper [2] has a description the might lead me to conclude that
> relaystate could do the same for me "5.4 idP-Site-First Use Case
> Requirements":

It does the same thing as long as the URL fits into 80 bytes. In
practice,
2.0 encourages an SP-first design, or would tend to push the SP to
define
default locations to send users who enter unsolicited.

> Could someone please direct me a resource that describes how to this
in
SAML
> 2.0.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, the profile, bindings, and core
specs
collectively define the system. If you want implementers guidelines,
they
don't exist yet.

-- Scott