saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] SAML, trust and WS.

> - In the following paragraph on page 2, it talks about trust between
> the VLE and the VFS when in fact it is the trust relationship between
> the VFS and the IdP that is important.  I don't believe the VFS need
> trust the VLE at all.  The latter is simply a transporter of signed
> assertions.
that bit of trust is for the VFS to lock down services to known clients,
if required. Perhaps it's overkill. In effect the VLE is identifying
itself to the VFS and trying to prove it's allowed to access the VFS
services.

If the VFS trusts the VLE then it can trust the IdP too, whose information
is being transmitted by the VLE to the VFS.

The VLE is saying "I'm the VLE and if you need attributes for the user on
whose behalf I'm working, here's their Subject and IdP location - if you,
VFS, need more attributes on the user, I don't care. Get them yourself.
All I care about is a return value or error from your service".

That's why I don't want transients as they'll just timeout. I'm trying
(quite unsuccessfully!) to describe a "digital avatar", almost, for the
user, generated by their IdP. It identifies who they are and where their
"home" is.

To compare with Scott's idea of an IdP giving a transient to an SPa for
transmission to SPb. The transient becomes the SAML avatar in the loopback
scenario. So it has to be a persistent identifier, that travels among
external entities.

It's really agents. Agents have owners (users) and if an agent was to
access something, VFS search say, it has the capability to say to the VFS.
"Here's my owner - go get their attributes then let me in".

The next step is how to define the SAML avatar. It will be SAML2.

Agents with SAML avatars... cybermugging... hmmm...

Alistair

--
Alistair Young
Senior Software Engineer