saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] SAML Elevator Speech

(Hi, Roger!)  The attempts here look an awful lot like the "SAML in
a technical nutshell" slide (#2) from my SAML Basics set:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/12958/SAMLV2.0-basics.pdf

SAML in a technical nutshell:

- XML-based framework for marshaling security and identity
information and exchanging it across domain boundaries
   . Wraps existing security technologies rather than inventing new ones
   . Its profiles offer interop for a variety of use cases, but you
can extend and profile it further

- At SAML's core: assertions about subjects
   . Assertions contain statements: authentication, attribute,
entitlement, or roll-your-own
====

If you're ascending a really tall building, you could try slide #3
(originally stolen from Prateek's slides, I think):

====
Key use cases covered by SAML out-of-the-box

- Single sign-on
   . Using standard browsers
   . Using enhanced HTTP clients (such as handheld devices) that
know how to interact with IdPs but are not SOAP-aware
- Identity federation
   . Using a well-known name or attribute
   . For anonymous users by means of attributes
   . Using a privacy-preserving pseudonym
- Attribute services
   . Getting attributes that can be interpreted according to several
common attribute/directory technologies
- Single logout
====

Other favorites are the graphic from slide #9 and the (now classic
and frequently copied :-) ) slide #14...

	Eve

--
Eve Maler                                         +1 425 947 4522
Technology Director                           eve.maler @ sun.com