saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Does an Authentication Context URN actually reference an XML file?

> The URN does not indicate the name of a resource (XML file)
> that contains details about how the authentication was accomplished.
>
> Correct?

Yes.

> The URN is just a label.  It is a label with this semantics
> "The subject was authenticated through the presentation of a
> password over a protected session."
>
> Correct?

I prefer to be technically precise and leave interpretation to others. What
it means is "the actual declaration instance, should it be known, is
schema-valid with respect to the schema associated with that class URN".

The class schemas restrict the possible content that can appear, apart from
extension points that are still open.

> Suppose that an IdP creates an XML document (let's call it
> foo.xml) which conforms to
> saml-schema-authn-context-ppt-2.0.xsd (this is the schema
> that has as its targetNamespace the above URN), and foo.xml
> contains all the details about how a Subject was
> authenticated.  Suppose that the IdP wants to tell the
> Relying Party, "The subject was authenticated through the
> presentation of a password over a protected session, and if
> you want to see the authentication details then view foo.xml
> at this URL _____".  How would this be expressed?

By adding the URL to foo.xml as the AuthnContextDeclRef element in the
statement.

-- Scott