saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Distributed IDP model

Title: Distributed IDP model

We definately considered that the Assertion consumer URL could be different than the IdP's authnrequest URL.

We did not document explicit protocols for (1) or (2) below (and I think you're missing (0) (how the user gets to the IdP such that the IdP knows which SP to send the user to).  However, just because they aren't documented doesn't mean that they can't be done -- (1) is done by *every* SSO implementation that I know of, but done using non-SAML protocols.  I would imagine that some/many do (2) as well.

The tricky part in this comes down to what's in the assertion.  First off, you need to send the relying party, authentication context info & probably subject confirmation info as well as conditions to the CIA in step 2 (seems like you need to send the CIA an assertion to me - it may be possible to hard-code some of this at the CIA, but I doubt you could do all of it that way) AND, if you are signing assertions, you somehow have to convey to the relying party that the assertion is being generated in the name of the IdP.

An alternative model is that you use the CIA as an IdP proxy where the IdPs do the initial authentication of the user and the CIA accepts that, then the CIA authenticates the user to the necessary SPs, but again the SPs would see this as an identity asserted by the CIA and not the IdP.

Of course, if the CIA really is a OEM-like part of the IdP, it may have the trust and ability to act as the IdP (e.g. have the IdP's private keys so it can make signed statements in the name of the IdP).

Conor

In this model, some steps normally carried out by an IDP are delegated to the central identity authority (CIA):

(1) IDP authenticates user
(2) CIA provides artifact to IDP
(3) IDP redirects browser to SP with artifact
(4) SP sends artifact to CIA for validation
(5) CIA provides assertion to SP
(6) SP provides online services to user

It's not clear to me how standard SAML protocols would support step 2 above.  What's needed is a SOAP request for which the standard response is a SAML artifact.

Did OASIS (or LAP) consider this type of distributed model?  Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Michael McCormick, CISSP
Lead Architect, Information Security
Wells Fargo Bank
255 Second Avenue South
MAC N9301-01J
Minneapolis MN 55479
(      612-667-9227 (desk)             7       612-667-7037 (fax)
(       612-590-1437 (cell)             J       michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com (AIM)
2       612-621-1318 (pager)            *       michael.mccormick@wellsfargo.com

“THESE OPINIONS ARE STRICTLY MY OWN AND NOT NECESSARILY THOSE OF WELLS FARGO"
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.