saml-dev message

Subject: question about metadata Organization elements

The SAML 2.0 metadata specification allows each Organization to have any
number (but at least one) of each of three different sub-elements:
OrganizationName, OrganizationDisplayName and OrganizationURL.  Each of
the sub-element instances has a mandatory xml:lang attribute but
otherwise there are no constraints as far as I can see.

One obvious use for this pattern is to have "the" organization name
expressed in several different languages:

<OrganizationName xml:lang="en">Widgets Inc.</OrganizationName>
<OrganizationName xml:lang="de">Widgets GmbH</OrganizationName>

Another use might be for an organization that has more than one name:

<OrganizationName xml:lang="en">Blah University</OrganizationName>
<OrganizationName xml:lang="en">University of Blah</OrganizationName>

My question is: is this entirely in the eye of the person defining or
using particular metadata, or was the intention to describe something
that would be used only in the first way?

My specific use case for this is that of an outsourced identity provider
that acts on behalf of multiple organizations.  We could make use of a
broad interpretation of these elements for this as long as someone isn't
going to come along later and say, for example, that all the language
tags are supposed to be different...

	-- Ian