saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] saving saml assertions

> can a SAML authority save SAML assertions so that they can be
> retrieved later by someone else (e.g. a relying party) or do
> only the subjects save their own assertions?

This (the authority saving assertions) is the typical mode of
operation when SAML Artifact protocols are used for the assertion
delivery operations.

So, for example, in the Browser-SSO protocol, the Response message
to an AuthnRequest may be sent to the relying party (through the
subject's browser) as an Artifact.  Later the relying party
submits the artifact to the IdP and retrieves the response that
includes the assertion.  This is a very common model because in
many cases the Assertion won't need to be signed (since it is
delivered directly from the IdP to the RP over a trusted channel).

Note that there's nothing in SAML that says the IdP actually
generated the assertion when it sent the artifact to the Relying
Party.  In many cases, I think the IdP would wait for the artifact
resolution call to generate the assertion, but that is all an
out-of-scope implementation detail within the IdP.

Note also that in the browser SSO protocols, the Subject usually
does not save any assertions as they are just funneled through
the browser to the RP.

In other protocols, such as Liberty's ID-WSF protocols, assertions
are delivered to web service consumers for later inclusion in
messages to web services and as such are typically managed locally
by the web service consumer.  However, even there, artifact type
objects may be used to pass along references to assertions rather
than the assrtions themselves.

Conor