saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Want to implement SAML with web services

On 5/24/07, Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu> wrote:
> > I want to implement SAML with web services, can somebody tell me where I
> > can get a related example or help.
>
> The most relevant spec is the WS-Security SAML profile. The rest depends on
> the use cases, and I think Liberty ID-WSF is the most understandable way to
> use WS-* with SAML and SOAP.

Yes, Scott is correct, that is one very logical approach.  I'm not
sure how much of that stack is currently implemented, however.

Another approach is to bind the SAML to an X.509 certificate and then
apply the WS-Security X.509 profile.  This has the advantage that the
same certificate can be used at the transport level.

Globus implements WS-Security X.509 Token Profile and
WS-SecureConversation since Globus Toolkit 4.0.  Client tools that
bind SAML to X.509 have been available since last December.  A
prototype plugin for GT4.0 that extracts and parses SAML in X.509 is
currently being tested.  It is likely this plugin will be incorporated
into GT4.2, due out this fall.

Tom