saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] SAML 2.0 pseudonyms

Thanks for reply Tom.

My question is that if I could pass these persistent name identifiers(i.e. pseudonyms),
as _simple_ name identifiers of SAML. Then why do we need to have separate support for pseudonyms,
in SAML ?

Thanks.

________________________________

From: Tom Scavo [mailto:trscavo@gmail.com]
Sent: Wed 11/28/2007 4:11 PM
To: Moniava, G.
Cc: saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

On 11/28/07, Moniava, G. <g.moniava@student.tue.nl> wrote:

> I have a question about pseudonyms in SAML 2.0.

The word "pseudonym" appears only once in SAMLCore, with respect to
persistent name identifiers, so I assume that's what you're referring
to.

> Particularly, as I understood
> SAML 2.0 doesnt state ways how the pseudonyms should be generated, rather
> it just offers means of transporting them to requester parties.

You're right, the spec does not say how persistent identifiers are
generated, but it does give their properties (persistent, opaque,
etc.).

> If that is true, than
> why could not we use, simple <uid> fields for transporting these pseudonyms.

You could, I suppose.

> Are there any benefints for having seperate, support for pseudonyms in SAML 2.0 ?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Perhaps I've misunderstood your
questions.  Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Tom