saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] the value of AuthnInstant

Consumption of AuthnInstant is a matter of policy at the SP, yes, but
an IdP that produces an incorrect value is at least non-interoperable
and may be broken depending on your point of view.  An SP that
partially bases its access control decision on AuthnInstant may make
the wrong decision if AuthnInstant is incorrect.

For instance, consider an IdP that routinely sets IssueInstant and
AuthnInstant to the same value (NOW).  Is this implementation broken?
Well, if no SP in the deployment inspects AuthnInstant asserted by
this IdP, then one could claim, I suppose, the answer is no, but just
because no SP happens to consume AuthnInstant, doesn't make it
correct.  In the very least, this IdP is non-interoperable.

Tom