saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] NameID-less SAML Subject

At least for SAML 2.0, I believe one use case is for use within an
AuthnRequest.   See SAML 2 core line 2017-2024.  The identifier (or
entire Subject) can be omitted in which case the subject is presumed to
be the presenter of the message.  You might have a Subject without the
identifier if specific SubjectConfirmation is being requested in the
resulting Assertion(s).  For example, the user wants an Assertion
returned with holder of key subject confirmation method, with a specific
key (possibly one of many that they own, presuming the IdP is willing,
can associate that key with the user, etc).   Same goes for scoping down
any of the possible subject confirmation data.

--Brent