saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] NameID-less SAML Subject

If an Assertion in the response to an AuthnRequest does not contain a NameID in the Subject, what is the meaning of the SubjectConfirmation, in the context of SSO profiles? The language in [SAMLCore] and in [SAMLProf], particularly as amended in the approved errata E47, speaks of the Subject as if it's the NameID:

"If an assertion is issued for use by an entity other than the subject, then that entity SHOULD be
identified in the <SubjectConfirmation> element."

What would "other than the subject" mean in the above?

::Ari