saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [x500standard] Re: SAML V2.0 X.500/LDAP Attribute Profile

Scott,

The new LDAP profile "supersedes the erroneous profile in [SAML2Prof]",
and states that asserting and relying party implementations conform to
the profile if they are consistent with the normative text of section 2.
But because the profile uses a mixture of RFC 2119 requirement levels
and descriptive text, determining which text is normative is a
challenge.  For example, the NameFormat MUST be urn:...:uri, but to
construct attribute names, the URN oid namespace "is used", and the
FriendlyName attribute "plays no role" in the comparison.  Although no
reasonable person could argue with the intent of this text, experience
says that it is better to have standards resistant to attack even from
unreasonable people :-)

Could the profile mark every normative requirement with a requirement
level, e.g. "To construct attribute names, the URN oid namespace ...
MUST be used", and "The FriendlyName attribute SHOULD NOT be sent and
MUST play no role in the comparison"?  From a security perspective,
every non-validated input accepted from another party is a
vulnerability, so applications should not just accept FriendlyNames at
face value and display them.  From a usability perspective, displaying
FriendlyNames in the sender's language inhibits i18n; instead relying
applications should generate FriendlyNames in the receiver's language
from the OID.  And from an efficiency perspective, EFX schema-based
compression is impaired by both free text elements and redundant
content.

A quick scan shows new informative sentences on Tagging options in 2.3
and 2.3.1 and the Encoding attribute moved from <AttributeValue> to
<Attribute>.  Does the change in location of Encoding completely address
the problem of "well-formed but schema-invalid XML" in the original
profile, or are other changes required?

Thanks,
Dave