saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] holder-of-key subject confirmation

> Conor's conclusion makes sense to me, but Scott I don't understand
> your comment.

There is no global PKI. That's essentially the comment. The idea that IN THE
ABSTRACT a certificate or a subject name means anything is simply not
supportable.

> Are you saying you can think of no practical situation
> where the user would have and use two such certificates, or is there
> some other point you're trying to make here?

Unless you constrain the CAs involved and understand the implications of
equating two certificates with the same subject, then no, it's not
practical. If you can constrain them, then sure, it's possible.

But I would claim that there's nothing in any spec that says you:

- can rely only on subject names in any particular case
- can interpret a KeyInfo containing a subject name as implying that in that
particular case you only need a matching name
- can interpret a KeyInfo containing a certificate as implying that in that
particular case you MUST use that exact certificate

The specs not only don't say any of that anywhere, but having implemented
related function contrary to point 3, I'd have to argue against such an
interpretation.

-- Scott