saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] What is <ProxyRestriction>?

This was defined for the case where one IdP (IdP-A) was an SP in another IdP’s  (IdP-B) circle of trust.   When IdP-A receives an assertion (as an SP) from IdP-B, it can generate assertions for its own SPs (which also could be IdPs in their own world, so this could go on recursively forever).

The ProxyRestriction gives the original IdP (IdP-B in my example) a means of indicating its limits on this recursion.

Conor

From: Mike Tran [mailto:mttran@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 9:33 AM
To: saml-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [saml-dev] What is <ProxyRestriction>?

As stated in the core, it's about "limitations that the asserting party imposes on relying parties that wish to subsequently act

as asserting parties themselves and issue assertions of their own on the basis of the information contained in the original assertion".  What I'm a little vague on is what does it mean exactly for the relying party to create assertions based on the original assertion?  Can someone provide an example use case for this?  Thanks in advance.

-Mike