saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] SAML V2.0 Holder-of-Key Web Browser SSO Profile notimmune against man-in-the-middle attack

Hi Tom/Nate,

Thanks for the feedback; it seems that you had a hard week-end because of me :-(
I'd like to clarify a point, and to propose a possible solution.
  1. The spec states that you need to use the same TLS keys/certificate to establish your session with your IdP and your SP, and the link is done in the assertion
  2. The TLS certificate does not have to be an "official" one (like a national eID one we begin to have in most European countries), in order
  • to not mandate a PKI
  • to allow some anonymity at the SP side
If we do not have any official (registered) certificate, MitM will always be possible, as no session can ever be secured. Under these circumstances, this profile can only provide little help. However, if we have an eID certificate, it is possible to completely secure the sessions by using the same "official" certificate with both the IdP and the SP. The only problem is that we cannot have anonymity any more.

Proposition: instead of stating that the key/certificate bind in the assertion and used with the SP must come from the TLS authentication to the IdP, why not extending this to "a key/certificate sent to the IdP in a secure way"? This would allow to authenticate to the IdP with TLS and an official certificate (secure channel protected against MitM), and to send the key/certificate you want to use with your SP inside this channel.
This would totally protect against MitM, keeping privacy.

By the way, this would also allow other types of secure channels than TLS between the user and the IdP, like a GSM based channel, etc.

Regards,

Marc Stern
Senior Consultant - Security Group Head
Approach Belgium - http://www.approach.be
Avenue Einstein, 2A   -    B-1348 Louvain-la-Neuve   -     Belgium
Tel: +32 10 83 21 36   -    GSM: +32 475 68 29 10    -   Fax: +32 10 83 21 50   - LinkedIn

Disclaimer_____________________________________________________________________________
1. This message is intended for the use of the addressee only and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
2. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination of this Communication is strictly prohibited.
3. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return of this e-mail.
4. E-mail quotations and proposals are for information only, and are subject to confirmation by the Signature of the appropriate contractual documentation by the authorized persons or both

Tom Scavo wrote:
ea2af9bd0904261639p4bfaf7f2ta38f7959fba3e053@mail.gmail.com" type="cite">
[cc'ing the SAML Public Comment list since the Holder-of-Key Web
Browser SSO Profile is under Public Review at this time]

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the note, and sorry for not replying sooner.  Yes, you
bring up a good point.  Either the statements involving the
"man-in-the-middle" need to be removed or additional requirements need
to be added that make the statements true.  I've been discussing this
with the spec's primary author, Nate Klingenstein, offline (as you
know).  Your suggestion to use a known key seems reasonable.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Tom