saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Extending SAML?

Mike Tran wrote on 2009-10-26:
> I was wondering if there was a way to extend SAML in a manner such
> that it can convey assertions for some arbitrary action performed by a
> web service.  We have various soap services that process documents and
> ideally after they are done processing these documents, we would like
> them to generate a SAML assertion asserting the domain specific
> action they performed.  Is this possible at?  I know SAML is typically
> used to assert acts of authentication and authorization, but can it be
> used in this particular case?

If the existing statement types don't meet your needs, then you can extend
them to represent whatever you want to represent. The assertion structure is
intended to be a format for expressing statements about stuff with
conditions attached, but it doesn't require any particular sorts of
statements.

-- Scott