saml-dev message

Subject: RE: [saml-dev] Multiple AuthnStatements in Assertion

A primary use case is in step-up authentication.  In environments where
fine-grained authorization is based on authentication methods that get
enforced thru step-up authentication, the multiple authn statements can be
used.  For example, I may use a password-protected-transport (PPT)
authentication at my enterprise IDP that lets me access my company 401K
account at an outsourced provider, but a policy is applied that requires a
step-up authentication (e.g. to hardware token) for high-value transactions
to be permitted.  My first assertion to authenticate would just have a PPT
authncontext.  When I attempt a restricted transaction, the SP kicks me back
to the IDP for the step-up and the next assertion comes back with both the
PPT statement and the hardware token method.

Rob Philpott | EMC Distinguished Engineer | RSA, the Security Division of
EMC