saml-dev message

Subject: Re: [saml-dev] Quick question about AttributeValue

On 6/4/14, 3:02 PM, "Nate Klingenstein" <ndk@internet2.edu> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>It looks like the specification explicitly goes out of its way to permit
>attributes with zero values, e.g. an <AttributeValue/> element (core,
>2.7.3.1/2.7.3.1.1).  What was the rationale for this?

That's not zero values, that's an empty value. And an xsi:nil is an
explicitly null value. Neither is the same as saying "no values", which is
just the absence of any elements.

The rationale was simply that people wouldn't agree to restrict it. I
personally would have barred empty or null because there's no case I've
ever encountered where it does anything but create work for a recipient.

-- Scott