samldemotech message

Subject: RE: ? on AuthnRequest

Works for me.

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115
Mobile: 617-510-0893
Fax: 781-515-7020
mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com

From: Thomas Wisniewski [mailto:Thomas.Wisniewski@entrust.com]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 2:44 PM
To: Philpott, Robert; Thomas Wisniewski; samldemotech

Rob, see below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Philpott, Robert [mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 2:39 PM
To: Thomas Wisniewski; samldemotech

From: Thomas Wisniewski [mailto:Thomas.Wisniewski@entrust.com]
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 1:32 PM
To: Philpott, Robert; samldemotech

Rob, some comments (all other items I agree on).

In terms of NameIDPolicy, we had decided on the last call that the SP would decide what format to use (vs. the ID value implying this). We would have two lists of IDPs on the SP site (one for the basic case idps and one for the optional use cases). How difficult would it be to implement this. The alternative of having the IDP know (on a per user basis which format to use), doesn't seem to be the right approach.

[RSP] sleep deprivation… I don’t recall that discussion… but I now concur.  I’ve talked it over here and we’ll handle that.  Sorry for the confusion.

So just to confirm – for the basic scenario, will there still be a NameIDPolicy with Format=X509SubjectName? Or will there be NO NameIDPolicy? Is AllowCreate included? If so, what should it be set to?
[Thomas Wisniewski] I think that since there are 2 id formats, it makes things clearer if we explicitly state them for each use case. Allow create (which defaults to false I believe), can be included with a false value or the attribute can be omitted.

For the federation use case, Then I assume we will use Format=urn:…:persistent and AllowCreate=true.
[Thomas Wisniewski] Yes.

I also think the following should also be allowed.

AssertionConsumerServiceIndex with a value of 0 (in addition to not being present).

[RSP] that’s okay with me – I just preferred to keep the AuthnRequest messages short because we’re using redirect HTTP. So allowing it in addition to allowing it to not be present is fine.

 But can we all agree to use the same index value (0 is fine with me also) so we don’t have configuration issues (i.e. one vendor might use 0, another use 1, another use 99)?
[Thomas Wisniewski] Yes. It would have to be 0 or not included.

Tom.