Subject: RE: [sarif] Alternatives for embedding links

Well, any customer that is exclusively using code flows to troubleshoot issues would have an obvious need for it. The MS static driver verifier is such a tool.

I’m not yet convinced there isn’t an idea out there that satisfies all concerns. Here’s a suggestion, for example, might trigger other thoughts if you don’t actually buy it: we could keep the format you describe, which is simply a number. Instead of this number representing strictly the index into related locations, however, it could be an id that is guaranteed to exist as a property value for one and only one physical location which exists either in related locations, a stack or a code flow.

Now we still have the simple format for the embedded link that Jim suggested. The additional complexity is a ‘embeddedLinkId’ property that needs to be added to physicalLocation (or just ‘id’).

Now imagine what the consumer side looks like: on selecting an issue, a viewer must parse all of related locations, stacks and code flows associated with reach result (tools tend to only populate one of these, but this isn’t really relevant). On detecting an id associated with a location, the viewer would cache that physical location in order to properly respond to an embedded link.

Michael

From: Larry Golding (Comcast) [mailto:larrygolding@comcast.net]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2017 3:48 PM
To: Michael Fanning <Michael.Fanning@microsoft.com>; sarif@lists.oasis-open.org

I can’t think of a way to do it that does not involve encoding the information about which code flow you want to link to into the message, which leads to something like the mini-language from your message of this morning (Monday, November 13, 2017 10:21 AM).

Lacking information about customer demand for this feature (“click on a link in a message, and navigate directly into the code flow specified by the link”), I would hesitate to complicate the format to support it.