Subject: RE: [sarif] Please review change draft for issues 33, 61, 69, and 72

I have made a change to the change draft: I added a rich text equivalent of the rule.help property. See Section 3.27.13, richHelp property.

From: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:sarif@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Larry Golding (Comcast)
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 11:11 AM
To: sarif@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello all,

A “change draft” of the SARIF spec is available which addresses several GitHub issues:

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/sarif-spec/blob/master/Documents/ChangeDrafts/sarif-v1.0-issues-33-61-69-72.docx

All changes are change-barred; you can use “Next change” to jump from one change to the next.

Please review the changes in this draft carefully. At the TC meeting on Wednesday January 10th, I will separately move to adopt the changes related to each of these issues:

  • Issue 33: Should we allow markdown in messages?

    Most SARIF objects which define a message property now also define an optional richMessage property. If richMessage is present, message must also be present to accommodate consumers that cannot render rich text. GitHub-Flavored Markdown (GFM) is the rich text language.

    The spec addresses the security issues raised by the use of rich text, especially Markdown.
  • Issue 61: Provide a format for links embedded in our plain text messages

    Despite the issue title, this is allowed for both plain text messages and rich text messages.
  • Issue 69: Provide a physicalLocation on a stack frame

    This is about replacing several existing properties on the stackFrame object with a single physicalLocation property which subsumes them.

This change draft also addresses an issue that I noticed and filed while I was making the above changes:

  • Issue 72: run.lang property needs a default value.

    run.lang specifies the language of the messages within a run. We had not previously specified a default. We now specify that the default is "en-US".

This change draft also corrects a couple of inaccuracies in the text of the spec which I noticed while making the above changes. I added Word comments to point this out.

Finally, this change draft includes several editorial changes and clarifications, for example:

  • In places where I previously referred to “name/value pairs” within a JSON object, I now call them by their correct JSON-ish name: “properties”.